The Knights of Columbus Scholarship Program is a scholarship fund for the benefit of lay ministry leaders in the Diocese of Rochester who wish to further their education at St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry.
Priority will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate financial need according to the standard St. Bernard's procedures and as verified by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Reside and serve as a lay minister/director (i.e., youth, faith formation, music, liturgical, pastoral ministers, etc.) in the 12 counties of the Diocese of Rochester
- Matriculate in one of the following programs: Master of Arts in Pastoral Studies (MAPS); Master of Arts (Theological Studies) (MATS); Master of Divinity (MDiv); Master of Arts (Catholic Philosophy) (MACP); and/or Graduate Certificate in Pastoral Studies
- Engage in full-time or part-time study and have entered into the last 8 courses of study to obtain the above degrees or certificate, or the last 13 courses of study to obtain an MDiv
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA or higher
- If the applicant has taken courses previously at St. Bernard's, he/she must have completed those courses, i.e., be free from any "lncompletes" on student record
- Agree to appropriate media coverage. In order to express the appreciation to the Knights of Columbus, enhance the Fund, and to help attract gifts for similar purposes, St. Bernard's may make appropriate announcements through internal and external publications, including its website and news media
How to Apply
In order to apply, applicants will be required to complete the Knights of Columbus Scholarship form at St. Bernard's, along with an essay outlining their goals in gaining a degree and plans for future work in ministry. St. Bernard's Financial Aid Director/Financial Aid Committee will select the applicants who most closely meet the criteria outlined above, and who embody the four principles of the Knights of Columbus: Charity, Unity, Fraternity, and Patriotism. The Knights of Columbus Scholarship Director will serve as a member of the review committee.
Each recipient will be eligible to receive a scholarship award of up to $1,000 per year. Multiple recipients may be selected depending on the amount of funds available to award.